SEO is as important as writing good content in your posts, if you have a blog or site on the internet.
SEO increases your visibility among the internet users who are looking for content on which you are writing. Unless your work is visible to potential customers your whole purpose of writing a good article fails.
Also It doesn’t matter in what profession you are (a designer, developer, blogger, have an online business), if you have a website/blog then you don’t want to miss out on organic traffic that you will get from Google.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is extremely important for your online business or if you are a marketer with an online presence.
What is SEO ?
As per Google guide: Search Engine Optimization is often about making small modifications to parts of your website.
When viewed individually, these changes might seem like small improvements but when combined with other optimization techniques, they will have a noticeable impact on your site’s user experience and performance in Google’s or other search engine’s organic search results.
Following this SEO checklist will ensure you have a head start on your competition and will enable you to rank on keywords and establish domain presence.
1. Identify your competitors.
2. Conduct keyword gap analysis.
What is Keyword Gap Analysis
It gives you a way to compare your keyword rankings with your competitor’s keyword ranking of another domain. It gives you an insight as on what parameters you are missing and help identify new opportunities.
With the help of this you can make a keyword list that your competitor is targeting and then determine the strategy accordingly.
3. Find unique long tail keywords that apply to your site or brand.
4. Analyse the intent of pages you want to rank. Think: What Question is this page answering that user is asking?
5. Create a list of keywords and organize by search volume and competition.
On Page SEO
- Meta title
- Meta description
- Headers & structure ( property description)
- URL Slug ( should be meaningful)
- Subheaders( H2 H3 H4…) to define content structure
- Alt tags for images
- Site only uses one H1 per page
- Content is readable ( size, colour)
SEO Meta in one click ( browser extension), ahrefs, Metatags.io
- Choose one main keyword
- 5 to 10 support supporting keywords
- Descriptive title 50-75 characters
- Keyboard has good search volume and low competition
- Content has links to other pages on site
- Content is fresh, updated, recent
- Content is easy to skim
Tools: Moz, SemRush Content Audit, Google AdWords, UberSuggest
- Check site load speeds
- Check site is responsive for tablets and mobile devices
- Check site for crawl errors
- Check that images optimized
- Site has inter links to other site pages
- No broken links
- Site uses https
- Conduct site audits
Tools: lighthouse, GTmetrics.com
- Setup Google Analytics (GA)
- Set up Google search console (GSC)
- (WordPress) Install yoast SEO or Rank math
- Generate a sitemap and submit to Google search console
- Create robots.txt
- Double check site is indexed by searching for ‘ site: yourdomain.com’
- Submit site to Bing webmasters to index it on being
Tools: Google Analytics, Google search console, Yoast, Bing Webmaster
This SEO Checklist will help you getting your site ranked at the top of the Google Page.